With this blog and the next, I will temporarily be hitting the pause button in our series of going deeper into the Lord’s prayer. I believe you will see the timeliness of these next two heart messages that brought me to that decision. We’ll finish up the beautiful prayer that Jesus taught, in November.
Greetings Dear Friends,
When you read this, most probably the recent glorious Fall days of Northeast Ohio will have given way to the more seasonable rain and chill of late October. I will have just returned from a week of literally stepping “out of time”…reveling in the love and presence of kids, grandkids, and great-grandkids. I will have also had the privilege of holding and snuggling extensively with my latest newborn great-grandson. What a truly precious gift that was.
It also was God ordered, because from the perspective of that sweet space I received a little wake-up call from the Lord. I recognized that ever so gradually, I was being pulled back into the vortex of overscheduling, overextending, and the mindset of over-busy-ness (if that is even a word).
Being recently retired from full-time employment, the new rhythms I have been establishing are indeed, freeing and fruitful. All the things I’ve put my mind to are good.
They are all good.
But…(I started asking myself)…am I supposed to be doing all of them all the time?
Are there not times when I’m supposed to be choosing between two goods?
Are there not times when I’m supposed to be choosing the greater good?
Reading this passage of Scripture I saw something very important:
Where are you in your life now? Are you doing much that is good? Are you trying to do it all?
Are you sure you’re supposed to be doing all that you’re doing?
Perhaps the Lord would assign simply a greater good for you to consider…at least for now.
When was the last time you checked in with Him?
Perhaps this week you can take some time, as I have, to just ask Him.
“Let us go…for that is why I came out.”
I'm a spiritual Director, speaker, and teacher with a sincere desire to share all that the Lord has taught me. It is my passion to help you create a “sacred space” of deeper intimacy with Jesus.
Resources for Going Deeper
Consider the Lilies
1. "Busy Lives & Restless Souls" by Becky Eldredge
1. "Sensible Shoes"
2. "Two Steps Forward-A Story of Persevering in Hope"
3. "Barefoot - A Story of Surrendering to God"
All titles by Sharon Garlough Brown
What Would Come Out if Someone Bumps Into You?
1. "The Way of Discernment: Spiritual Practices for Decision Making" by Elizabeth Liebert
What is Your Sacred Pathway?
1. "Sacred Pathways, Discover Your Soul's Path to God" by Gary Thomas
Spring Training...have you Started?
1. "The Good and Beautiful God, Falling in Love with the God Jesus Knows" by James Bryan Smith
Hurry and Slow Down
1. "Spiritual Disciplines Handbook" by Adele Ahlberg Calhoun
2. "Answering God" by Eugene Peterson
3. "Soul Keeping: Caring For The Most Important Part of You"
by John Ortberg
STOP Before You Start Your Journey
1. "Sabbath" by Dan Allender
2. "Spiritual Disciplines Handbook" by Adele Ahlberg Calhoun
3. "Soul Feast" by Marjorie Thompson