“Thy Kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.” Matthew 6:10
These past days meditating on the Lord’s prayer, I’ve been fixated on the passage in Luke 7:18-28 concerning John the Baptist, and Jesus’ discussion with the people concerning him. John’s disciples had just left after relating his bewilderment in prison concerning just this issue: “Thy Kingdom come…”
John was asking, “Art thou he that should come? Or should we look for another?”
After answering them, Jesus’ also asked a question,…the same question - three times!
“What went ye out into the wilderness for to see? A reed shaken with the wind?
But what went ye out for to see? A man clothed in soft raiment?...
But what went ye out for to see? A prophet?”
I ask myself concerning this Kingdom: what would I have gone out in the wilderness to see?
Here is what Jesus answered:
“This is he, of whom it is written, ‘Behold I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee.’ For I say unto you, among those that are born of women there is not a greater prophet than John the Baptist: but he that is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he.”
Dear friends, this is us! This is us!
Let this wash over you as you speak the words of the Lord’s prayer into the heavenlies and into your own wilderness! Realize that we,…the least of us in the kingdom of God,… are greater than John.
This is true, only because today, we have the Indwelling Presence of the Holy Spirit.
This is true because we also are called to “…prepare thy way before thee” in the wilderness of our chaotic times.
“Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth as it is in heaven.”
I'm a spiritual Director, speaker, and teacher with a sincere desire to share all that the Lord has taught me. It is my passion to help you create a “sacred space” of deeper intimacy with Jesus.
Resources for Going Deeper
Consider the Lilies
1. "Busy Lives & Restless Souls" by Becky Eldredge
1. "Sensible Shoes"
2. "Two Steps Forward-A Story of Persevering in Hope"
3. "Barefoot - A Story of Surrendering to God"
All titles by Sharon Garlough Brown
What Would Come Out if Someone Bumps Into You?
1. "The Way of Discernment: Spiritual Practices for Decision Making" by Elizabeth Liebert
What is Your Sacred Pathway?
1. "Sacred Pathways, Discover Your Soul's Path to God" by Gary Thomas
Spring Training...have you Started?
1. "The Good and Beautiful God, Falling in Love with the God Jesus Knows" by James Bryan Smith
Hurry and Slow Down
1. "Spiritual Disciplines Handbook" by Adele Ahlberg Calhoun
2. "Answering God" by Eugene Peterson
3. "Soul Keeping: Caring For The Most Important Part of You"
by John Ortberg
STOP Before You Start Your Journey
1. "Sabbath" by Dan Allender
2. "Spiritual Disciplines Handbook" by Adele Ahlberg Calhoun
3. "Soul Feast" by Marjorie Thompson